Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tips For Buying College Textbooks

Before you start college, all you hear about is how much the textbooks are. Well, let me tell you, it's not a lie. As a freshman starting college in the fall, I have had to experience this first hand. I may not be a veteran at college yet, but I do have a few tips for you.

Number one-
Research!
You might be scared to buy a textbook from anywhere but your university's bookstore but don't be. I had the same fear. I bought most, if not all my books from my university's bookstore and am regretting it. When you put in your order, they have the right to change or cancel some things in your order and they take for ever to process it. While this may not be for all colleges, it is what I have experienced. My college had made changes to multiple orders of mine, leaving me questioning what to do. It has been a headache! For the future, just research! If the textbook is a couple dollars cheaper or a couple dollars more on amazon, get it on amazon!

Number two-
Get used books!
For some textbooks, it is more wise to get it new. The textbook might also be sold only as new, but for most, there is a option to buy it used. If you are taking a writing class, buying a used textbook might actually help you more. The notes or highlights in the textbook might teach you things that you had not considered. Another reason, which is a no brainier, is that used textbooks are cheaper. If you can save money, do it!

Number three-
You don't need to buy every textbook recommended to you. This was my down fall. As a freshman going to college for the first time, I got it in my head that whatever was recommended, you needed. This is SO false. Look-up what that recommended textbook is about and if you think it might help you, then great! Not everything they recommend will help you.

These are my tips! If you have any that you have thought of, message me! I would love to hear what you have to say!

xoxo Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Great tips especially number one, shopping around can save you a lot of money. No site is the cheapest all the time that's why using a price comparison service is a must

    ReplyDelete